Friday, 23 December 2011

NOR-WAY Bussekspress

NOR-WAY Bussekspress provides a Seat guarantee so there is no need to reserve seats in advance for the 2 short journeys we are taking.

I emailed them to check and received a very quick reply confirming the guarantee so another task completed.

Caledonian Sleeper

There are no bargain berths available on the nights that we want to travel.   I started to look at the other options and found the 10 ticket flexipass.  Not only will it work out cheaper in the long run when we take all our journeys into account,  it also gives us a lower berth each and a better breakfast.

I bought the flexipass yesterday and there seemed to be a slight hiccup when they tried to book the actual journeys for us...   but today a phone call to the Customer Services line meant we got 3 of our journeys booked.  It's still too early for the other 2 but at least the price is guaranteed because it's been pre-paid.

Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Road to Corran

Road to Corran
Looking across the water towards Glencoe on this very snowy winter morning.

The road here is better than where we'd just been.  It was obvious the gritters had been along because, besides hearing them, the grit was visible on the road.  


Unfortunately few vehicles had driven towards the ferry before us and so the grit hadn't had time to work.

Friday, 16 December 2011

Excursions

We don't normally take the planned excursions,  preferring to get to know the people in the communities we visit.   On this occasion it is different and we've already booked some excursions on the Hurtigruten.  The Marco Polo excursions we'll book when the forms arrive.

See the activities page.

Scheduling

In between the thunder storms of the last few days,  I've been able to do much more of the scheduling so we can arrange to meet friends and relatives as we travel around Norway.

The itinerary is almost finished apart from the transport tickets that haven't been made available yet.   I've taken the times from the timetables but will continue to watch for alterations right up until and during the trip.

7 of the 9 hotel stays can be cancelled up until the evening before our stay. This means if any of our planned transport are cancelled or delayed,  we'll be able to change our plans without incurring costs.   The early booking price of the other 2 hotels made it worthwhile to take the risk.

Our house sitters are talking to each other to make sure there is someone 'at home' throughout our trip which is good news after last year's burst pipes.

I'll update the itinerary this afternoon.

Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Hotels

All the hotels for the trip are now booked.  One booking went slightly wrong,  must have been credit card fatigue?   but it's all fixed now because the sensible receptionist at Kristiansand Scandic fixed it with us.

Still slightly frustrating that I can't book any of the land transport yet because no-one puts their availability online this early.   When it does go online it's a mad rush to get the best prices.

Sunday, 4 December 2011

Glencoe/Rannoch

Glencoe/Rannoch
Snow falling over the hills and sleet falling on the road as we drove home yesterday

Friday, 2 December 2011

Land accommodation

Now I know the dates for our land stays,  it's time to choose the hotels.    No problem choosing in Bergen and Oslo but trying to find a hotel in Kristiansand doesn't appear to be so easy?   Kristiansand doesn't display any hotels in some of the usual websites where I'd book hotels,  probably because they haven't listed their room availability yet?